Best Road Bike Lights Review – Your Ultimate Buying Guide
When using your road bike to travel to your destination during the early morning, at night or through rainy or foggy weather, you’re going to want something that provides you with high visibility to help you navigate roads better, and, most importantly, makes you more visible to other road users.
This something is road bike lights!
They’re one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to make your early morning commute and night ride as safe as possible, plus they provide you with better visibility in dull and gloomy weather.
Your safety is paramount to us, so we’ve created the ultimate guide to the best road bike lights that are currently on the market and listed the four main things you should consider before purchasing a road bike headlight.
It’s important to note that the number of lights your bike should have when cycling in little to no light or in bad weather varies from state to state and city to city.
For your safety, it’s important to know what they are. So, be sure to check out your state or city’s bicycle night riding laws.
10 Best Road Bike headlights Comaprsions in 2019
(**At the time of publishing this post,ratings & pricing mentioned about all the products here were according to the Amazon last update)
|Product Name||Light Power||Editor Ratings||Check Amazon price|
|NiteRider Lumina 750 Headlight||750 Lumens||4.5|
|Cygolite Metro 550 USB Light||550 Lumens||4.5|
|NiteRider PRO 1800 LED Race Headlight||1800 Lumens||4.5|
|CatEye Volt 700 Headlight||700 Lumens||4.8|
|Cygolite Expilion 800 USB Bicycle Headlight||800 Lumens||4.6|
|NiteRider Mako 150 Headlight||150 Lumens||4.5|
|1200 Lumen Cree XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle Bike Headlight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp||1200 Lumens||3.7|
|NiteRider Lumina 350 Wireless / USB Rechargable Headlight||350 Lumens||4.2|
|Cygolite Metro 360 USB Bicycle Headlight||360 Lumens||4.6|
|Bright Eyes Rechargeable POWERFUL 1200 LUMENS Bike Headlight||1200 Lumens||4.5|
What You Should Consider Before Buying Any Bike lights
Type Of Bulb
In the past, there were several bulb options to choose from, but LED lights have improved immensely over the past few years to the point where there really isn’t a choice anymore.
LEDs cover all the bases of what the best road bike light should be: they’re small, they’re long-lasting, they’re sturdy, they’re durable, they don’t overheat, and, most importantly, they’re affordable.They provide great efficiency at a great cost and are our preferred road bike headlight to use.
Battery Life And Charging
If your cycle headlight comes with a proprietary charger, you have to be sure about how much time you’re going to spend on your commute so that you don’t get stranded in the dark, and you have to remember to charge your headlight, usually, after every use.
For those of you who have a hard time remembering to charge your bike headlight or don’t want to have to rush back home every time your battery is low, then chargers are probably not the best option for you.
Instead of using a proprietary charger, we would recommend purchasing a road bike headlight that uses batteries or has a USB charging option. These two options are extremely convenient, as you can charge them via laptop or a plug, and, usually, help make your lights run for longer period of time.
NB: Some lights have a fuel gauge display that shows you how much battery you have left, which serves as a helpful reminder for you to charge your headlights.
A lumen is a measure of the total quantity of visible light emitted by a source.
In other words, lumens are the unit of how bright a light is to other road users.
Rear lights range from 5-100 lumens, and front lights usually start from 10 lumens and go into the hundreds for commuting headlights and then into the thousands for serious road and off-road headlights.
Front lights in the hundreds are ideal for commuting to work in the early morning, traveling back home at dusk, roaming around the city in the evening, and cycling trails at night.
They are what we frequently recommend to customers, as they light up the path in front of you and help you quickly and easily spot potholes, debris in your way, oncoming cars and other motorists on the road.
Most importantly, they help other motorists notice you, which ultimately keeps you safe.
When Plan On Using Bike Headlights
The best road bike lights is one that can withstand the damage of daily use, and we’ll take a look at ten of those in a minute.
If you plan on using your cycle headlight every day, come rain or shine, you’re going to want something that’s sturdy, durable, long-lasting, and has great sealing.
Bike headlights that offer the aforementioned features are generally more expensive, but, in the long run, they do deliver more value than their actual cost.
If you’re not able to afford the more expensive headlights, don’t worry, we’ve got great options for you, too.
The road bike lights listed below are all high-quality and cater to every cyclist’s need, amateur and professional alike.
Best Road Bike lights - Reviews Below:
1. NiteRider Lumina 750 Headlight
The NiteRider Lumina 750 headlight is an incredibly powerful headlight that’s compact, fairly lightweight, and has a solid build.
NiteRider Lumina 750 widely regarded as the best road bike headlight in the industry and it’s a perfect fit for unlit country lanes and cycle paths with little to no light.
Using it around town is not a problem either, thanks to its low, medium, and high beam options. NiteRider Lumina 750 headlight comes in 750 lumens, five different modes, and charging is done via a short micro-USB cable that can charge via a plug or laptop.
It has a beam that’s straight and clear, but also wide enough so that you can see the side of the road and avoid any potential danger.
- LED bulbs.
- Single-cell Li-ion battery.
- 750 lumens.
- 5 modes: high, medium, low, walk, and flash.
- USB rechargeable.
- Batteries included.
2. Cygolite Metro 550 USB Light
The Cygolite Metro 550 USB Light features new Enhanced Cycling Optics, a powerful 550-lumen oval spread, an extra wide beam and distant throw and side illumination ports for enhanced visibility on low-light rides.
Cygolite Metro 550 headlight offers a USB internal Li-ion battery that can be charged via a plug or laptop, 6 light modes to choose from (3 steady, 2 flashing, and 1 walking), and a Day-lightning flash mode that boosts 600+ lumens of lightning-like flashes for increased day riding safety and 24-hour visibility.
Additionally, the Cygolite Metro 550 has a water resistant design for all riding conditions, up to 10 hours of run time, and is made in the United States.
- 550-lumen output with a 5w Cree XM-L LED.
- 6 modes: 3 steady, 2 flashing, and 1 walking.
- DayLightning flash mode boosts 600+ lumens of lightning-like flashes for increased day riding safety.
- USB rechargeable.
- 10 hours of run time on a single USB charge.
- Water resistant design.
- Weighs 110g.
- Made in the United States.
3. NiteRider Pro 1800 Race Light
Known as the best road bike light in the industry, the NiteRider Pro 1800 Race Light is a versatile headlight that illuminates the darkest trails with what looks like the midday sun.
The NiteRider Pro 1800 constructed from a lightweight material and is designed to cast a wide beam across the trail for broad and even coverage. The NiteRider Pro 1800 uses CREE LED bulbs that create a bright beam, sustain battery life, and reduce the amount of heat produced by the bulbs.
[azonbox1 tagt = "We Recommend Highly" imgurl= "https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71EpFnet-4L._SL1500_.jpg" imgdsc="" lnktxt= "Check Price on Amazon" linkl="https://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-Pro-1800-Race-Light/dp/B00A29MCFK?tag=roadbikehub1-20" headline= "NiteRider Pro 1800 Race Light" subhline="Led bulbs with 1800 lumens and 4 different light modes" text= "" ]
The Niterider pro 1800 headlight goes up to 1800 lumens and provides more light than the average car headlight, which makes it perfect for late-night trail rides and endurance races on roads that are enshrouded in darkness.
Additional features include an easily-accessible output button on top of the light, an 8-step fuel gauge on the light that gives you an accurate reading of how much battery you have left, and a Borofloat lens on the front of the light that’s resistant to thermal shock.
- Field tested to be durable and functional.
- LED bulbs.
- 1800 lumens.
- 4 settings: high, medium, low, walk, plus a flash mode.
- Easily-accessible output button.
- An 8-step fuel gauge that provides an accurate reading of how much battery you have left.
- Lasts 1.5 hours at 1800 lumens, 3 hours at 700 lumens, 6 hours at 400 lumens, and 25 hours at 80 lumens.
- Equipped with a Borofloat lens that’s resistant to thermal shock.
4. Cateye Volt 700 Headlight
The Cateye Volt 700 headlight gives you up to 100 hours of run time and features a rectangular beam, enhanced optics and a high-intensity white LED light that effectively spread light evenly over the path in front of you.
Cateye volt 700 bike light also features 5 modes that help extend battery life, furthermore, it has a removable USB rechargeable battery that can be charged when not attached to the light, and a 700-lumen output that’s bright enough to spot potholes, debris and other obstacles in your way when riding in night.
- 700-lumen output.
- Li-ion, USB rechargeable battery.
- High-intensity white LED.
- 5 modes: three steady burn modes and two flash modes.
- Up to 100 hours run time.
5. Cygolite Expilion 800 USB Bicycle Headlight
Featuring a powerful second-generation Cree XM-L LED and custom TIR optics, the Cygolite Expilion 800 Usb Bicycle Headlight is one piece design that’s incredibly bright, with up to 800 lumens of class leading brightness, and easily lights up any road or trail you decide to ride on.
Stay safe on the road with the Steady Pulse illumination mode, which alerts motorists with flashes while constantly lighting your path, and enjoy the various features this headlight offers such as helmet and handlebar mounting options, convenient USB charging, 8 versatile lighting modes, and swappable Li-ion battery sticks for run-time flexibility.
- Class leading 800 lumens.
- Powerful second-generation Cree XM-L LED with custom TIR optics for a wider beam spread and a greater throw.
- Swappable Li-ion battery stick swaps for extended run times.
- 8 versatile lighting modes: medium, high, boost, low, steady pulse, day flash, walking, and SOS.
- USB rechargeable.
- Charging and low-battery indicators on top of the headlight for easy reference.
- Lasts up to 22 hours on a single charge.
- Compact design; weighs 140g.
- Water resistant.
- Lock-tite helmet and handlebar mount.
6. NiteRider Mako 150 Headlight
The NiteRider Mako 150 is a budget-friendly headlight, specially constructed for commuters, that ensures high visibility on the road. It uses a CREE LED bulb to project 150 lumens of light into a wide beam across the road and ‘gills’ on both sides of the headlight body to laterally emit a red light for enhanced visibility.
Niterider Mako 150 has three light settings (high, low, and flashing), also comes with an adjustable handlebar mount, weighs approximately 165g and operates on two AA batteries.
Seems like NiteRider Mako 150 Headlight may be simple, but it is also cost-effective, efficient, and helps you see and be seen.
- 150 lumens.
- CREE LED bulb.
- 3 light settings: high, low, and flashing.
- Custom reflector and red side lighting for high visibility.
- Adjustable handlebar mount that fits bars up to 31.8mm in diameter.
- Weighs approximately 165g.
- Operates on 2 AA batteries (included).
7. 1200 Lumen Bike Light
This 1200 Lumen Bike Light is a hi-tech rechargeable bike light that provides a brighter, safer, and much more visible path wherever you go.
1200 lumen headlight constructed from strong aviation aluminum alloy and produces an extremely powerful (1200 lumens) light that can last up to 180 minutes.
It has 3 light modes and it’s ability to be used as headlight or flashlight enables it to be used when hiking, biking, running, or camping.This 1200 lumen bike light is bright, durable, and versatile.
- Bright, durable, and multifunctional.
- 1200 lumens.
- Constructed from strong aviation aluminum alloy.
- Rechargeable battery.
- Can last up to 180 minutes.
- 3 light modes: steady (1200 lumens), low light (300 lumens), and strobe (1200 lumens).
8. NiteRider Lumina 350 Light
The NiteRider Lumina 350 light is self-contained, compact, lightweight, USB rechargeable, cordless headlight.
Its single-piece construction looks great, helps avoid mid-ride blackouts, and protects the battery from harsh weather.
NiteRider Lumina 350 has four light settings, and, depending on your setting, can last you anywhere from 2 to 21 hours.
It has a quick-release handlebar mount that accommodates bars up to 31.8mm in diameter, a USB charger that takes approximately 4.5 hours to reach a full charge, and weighs about 175g.
Whether you’re commuting to work in the early morning, traveling back home at dusk or cycling bike trails at night, this Lumina headlight will illuminate your path and make other road users aware of your presence with its broad beam and 350-lumen output.
- LED headlamp with internal Li-ion battery.
- Wireless and USB rechargeable.
- 5 hour charge time.
- Four light settings: high, medium, low, walk, plus a flash mode that lets you adjust the brightness as you ride.
- Run time: 2 hours at 350 lumens (high), 4 hours at 200 lumens (medium), 6 hours at 125 lumens (low), and 21 hours at 30 lumens (walk).
9. Cygolite Metro 360 USB Bicycle Headlight
The Cygolite Metro 360 USB Bicycle Headlight is a compact 110g light that features 6 modes, new custom TIR optics, a powerful 360-lumen 4-Watt output and side illumination ports that light up potholes and other hazards along the way.
It’s 2-in-1 Steady Pulse illumination alerts motorists with pulses while lighting your path at night and it’s DayLightning mode flashes in a lightning-like manner to demand road users’ attention during the day.
You can also recharge Cygolite Metro 360 conveniently via a USB port, which saves you the cost of replacing batteries after your bike rides.
- Super bright 4-watt - 360 lumens, LED lamp, custom TIR optics, and side illumination ports for enhanced visibility.
- Steady Pulse mode alerts motorists with pulses while lighting your path at night.
- DayLight mode flashes in a lightning-like manner to demand motorists’ attention during the day.
- 6 light modes: medium, high, low, Steady Pulse, DayLightning, and walking.
- USB rechargeable with internal Li-ion batteries.
- Lasts up to 10 hours on a single charge.
- Water resistant.
- Includes Metro 360 light, USB charge cable, and a handlebar mount.
10. Bright Eyes Rechargeable POWERFUL 1200 LUMENS Bike Headlight
This Bright Eyes Rechargeable 1200 Lumens Bike Light offers you 500 ft. of sheer brightness and 3,000 ft. of visibility.
It effectively maintains a 1200 lumen output level until the battery is fully drained and it can last you about 3 to 26 hours when on your bike ride.
The light comes with 3 modes and 5 mode light features, a long-lasting, high-quality LED lamp, 4 heavy-duty O-rings for quick and easy headlight mounting, a Li-ion rechargeable battery pack and wall charger, and a free head harness mount for bikers, hikers, runners, and campers.
It fits very well on handlebars with easy rubber mounts and comes with a lifetime guarantee on the bicycle headlight and a 1-year warranty on the rechargeable batteries.
- An extremely bright 1200 lumen output.
- 3 easy light modes: high (1200 lumens), medium (800 lumens), and strobe.
- If you hold the power button for 3 seconds while the light is off, the light transforms into a five mode light, which gives you two more modes: low mode (350 lumens) and an SOS pattern.
- Lasts for about 3 hours on high mode, 5 hours on medium, and 26 hours on low mode.
- Maintains a 1200 lumen output level until the battery is fully drained, which means no dimming during use.
- Rechargeable waterproof battery.
- Comes with a high-quality LED lamp and a free head harness mount for biking, hiking, running, and camping.
- Comes with a lifetime insurance guarantee on the bicycle headlight and a 1-year warranty on the battery.
These are, hands down, the best road bike lights that are currently on the market.
They are powerful, long-lasting, provide high-visibility and are sure to illuminate your path so that you can meander around any objects that are in your way, spot any oncoming cars and other cyclists ahead, and ultimately stay safe and get home in one healthy and happy piece.
Remember, your main goal is to be seen by other road users so that you can stay safe. And the brighter the light, the more visible you are.
We hope that with this guide you’ll be able to find something that suits you perfectly and have a better understanding of what you should consider when purchasing a road bike light.
What do you think about this post? Comment below.